Insurance is understood as a form of risk management that is used for hedge against the risk of contingent, uncertain loss, from one entity to another one. Ands this trend of insurance has developed into a very nice practice through out the globe and is controlled by some big companies. Below is given list of some big companies in insurance.
- America Int Group: American International Group, Inc is an American insurance corporation having it’s headquarter at American International Building in New York City. Its British headquarters office is located at Fenchurch Street in London. Its Asian headquarters is situated in HongKong. According to the facts of 2008 Forbes 2000 list, AIG was placed at 18th position among the public companies of the world.
- AXA Group: It is a French global insurance company having its office in Paris. It is a conglomerate of independently run business under operation of the laws and regulations of the respective country where it has having its operations. Its operations mainly are in control in countries of Western Europe, North America and the Asia Pacific region and the Middle East. It has five operating business segments like Life & Savings, Property & Casualty, International Insurance (including reinsurance), Asset Management and Other Financial Services. It was ranked as the 73rd largest company in the world based upon the 2009 Fortune Global 500 list.
- Allianz Worldwide: It is one of the largest financial companies of the world having its headquarters in Munich, Germany. Its primary business is into insurance. With worth of around 92.5 billion euro during 2008, it is the second largest international insurance and financial services organization in the world. . Allianz Global Investors ranks as a top-five global active investment manager, having €970 billion of assets under management (AuM).
- Manulife Financial: Manulife Financial Corporation that is also known by the name of The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company is a very big Canadian insurance company and financial services provider. Operating from its head office in Toronto, Canada it has worldwide operations in several countries including the United States and in 10 Asian countries and regions. It is the largest insurance company in North America and is world’s forth largest, as based upon the market capitalization.
- Prudential Financial: It is a Fortune Global 500 and Fortune 500 company having its stake in areas like insurance, investment management and other financial products as catered to both retail and institutional customers throughout the United States and over 30 other countries. Principal products and services include life insurance, annuities, mutual funds, pension- and retirement-related investments, administration and asset management, securities brokerage services, and commercial and residential real estate in many states of the U.S. It holds more than around $2 trillion of life insurance.